Self confidence is an individual’s opinion about himself and his worth as a person. People who have a healthy level of self confidence are in control of their lives–they trust their qualities and have a firm belief that they can achieve what they set their mind to.
However, having self-confidence does not mean that people will be able to do everything. Self confident people have appropriate ambitions and objectives. And even when they don’t get what they want, they still manage to stay optimistic. Even though many of the factors affecting self confidence are beyond your control, there are a number of things you can purposely do to build self confidence. Below is a list of a couple of simple techniques that you can use to increase confidence .
1. Examine yourself. Learn to evaluate yourself without asking for other people’s opinions. Doing this will help you avoid being controlled by other people’s perception of who you are.
2. Care about how you appear. This may look rather generic to you, but believe me, looking great can do wonderful things to your self confidence. So make it a point to appear presentable at all times–take a shower regularly, shave, put your best clothes on and put on some cologne. Bear in mind that the way we look affects how we interact with people and how people interact with us. If you don’t want your looks to work against you, then pay attention to it.
3. Assume good posture. The way you stand, walk, sit or carry yourself in general also influences your confidence levels. People with slumped shoulders and lethargic movements display a lack of self confidence. So keep your shoulders straight and your chin up at all times. Doing this will not only have you feeling alert and motivated but will also display an optimistic impression on other people.
4. Sharpen your mind. Empowering yourself in general is one of the most effective self-confidence building strategies. You can do that in many ways, but one of the surest ways to empower yourself is through knowledge. You increase confidence as you become more intelligent. You gain knowledge through research and studying. Among the things you can do is read books and other similar materials, go to school, go to the internet and observe human interactions.
5. Stop negative thoughts. So you can shut these thoughts out, you need to be aware of them. Then, you can start reframing these negative thoughts and replacing them with affirming or positive ones.
Self-confidence is extremely important in almost every aspect of our lives, yet a lot of people struggle to find it.
I hope this article has in a way helped you get started on your goal to increase confidence. Developing self confidence is a long process so just take one step at a time and you will eventually accomplish what you want.